5.07.2009

random LA wednesday night

I'm not ashamed to admit it - I love John Mayer. So when I read the following tweet from him, I got pretty excited:

"Gonna hit up Hotel Cafe in Hollywood at 11ish... 21+ I'll trade you new songs for no videoing them? : ) (((bats lashes))) Need guinea pigs."

My friend Josh had been texting me about the show, so we decide to go. Realize: Nikki and I were just about to go to bed. She had to get up early, so we were calling it a night around 10:30. But how could we pass this up?

I call my friend Ryan: "Wake up. I'm coming to get you." Surprisingly, he's fine with that.

So Nikki and I pick him up around 11 and head over to Hotel Cafe on Cahuenga. After we park, as we're walking toward the entrance, we pass a bunch of rabid paparazzi hoping something good will happen. I felt the same way... I would be lying if I didn't say I was skeptical. Here we are, late at night, at a random bar in Hollywood all because of a 140 character message on twitter from a person we think is John Mayer. Could it be for real?

We get to the entrance to the club, and there are a few people in line... not many. We pay the $5 cover, head in, and make our way to the stage. The place is packed, and most people are just facing the stage wondering the same thing as me and the paparazzi. Is he really coming?

As we're waiting, I turn to say something to Ryan when I notice that Andy Dick is standing next to him. "Nice!" A few minutes later, Zach Levi is chatting to Andy Dick and he has his arms around his girlfriend. "Also Nice!" Still no John Mayer, but the presence of a few other celebs makes his arrival seem more of a reality.

A few more minutes roll by, and I turn again to say something to Ryan when I notice a tall guy carrying a guitar, a little hunched over and walking in our direction. "Ryan. Look." It's John, and he walks right past us. "How's it going?" he says as he passes, but I can't do much but stare. Remember, I love this guy.

He's by himself, so he jumps up on stage and starts getting his guitar ready. Once he's all checked in and ready to start he says, "Hold on. I have to tweet."

For the next hour or so, he plays a collection of new and old songs, including "3x5," "Belief," "Half of My Heart," and a few other new ones. It was unreal! And to think, I almost went to bed!

When he finishes, he starts packing up his guitar to leave. A bunch of us head to the stage like 14 year-old girls. All I want to do is shake his hand, but the giddy girls in the front won't leave, so I fail. I go back to where we were standing, hoping that he would walk that way again, and he does. I grab his shoulder and say, "John. Great job." It's all I could think to say. Nikki said he looked at me when I said his name, but I blacked out for a second. Yeah, I'm ridiculous. I admit it. But what can I say? I really like this guy!

We finally get outside, but decide to wait a few more minutes until he leaves. The paparazzi are breathlessly waiting for his exit. When he finally clears the club's doors, the flash bulbs are enough to make anyone start ceasing. It's intense. He jumps in his car, pushes a few paparazzi out of the way, and he's on his way home.

What a night! It's times like these I don't think I ever want to leave LA. On a random Wednesday night, after watching American Idol, we go to a bar in Hollywood to pay $5 to hear John Mayer play songs that no one else has heard. Somehow, my life actually does feel a little more complete.

5 comments:

Julie said...

how amazingly cool is that!?!?!? so so so so so so so glad you got to see him play! i think life really is a little more complete today. :)

ben wideman said...

I thought of you as soon as I saw the twitter message. I should have gone down! Looks like a great time.

joyce said...

awesome. your dream has partly come true :)

Griselda Johnson said...

Jon, this is so funny! I can just see you staring into this guy's eyes and not knowing what to say. You must have looked so funny to Nikki. So glad you had a great time, that staying up late was worth it!

Noah said...

Dude...Fatty fat!